Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Range of samples values

From: Ujala Qasim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Range of samples values
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:09:47 +0600

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Ujala Qasim <address@hidden> wrote:
I captured the samples using the following C++ interface which is already available for USRP:

// Simple C++ USRP interfacing demonstration program
//
//
// This program was derived and modified from test_usrp_standard_rx.cc
/* -*- c++ -*- */
/*
* Copyright 2003,2006,2007,2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
*
* This file is part of GNU Radio
*
Page 53 of 90
* GNU Radio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
* any later version.
*
* GNU Radio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
*
* along with GNU Radio; see the file COPYING. If not, write to
* the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street,
* Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
*/
#include "usrp_standard.h"

// Dumy Function to process USRP data
void process_data(int *buffer)
{
}
#define SAMPELS_PER_READ (512) // Must be a multiple of 128
int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
bool loopback_p = false;
bool counting_p = false;
bool width_8_p = false;
int which_board = 0;
int decim = 8; // 32 MB/sec
double center_freq = 0;
int fusb_block_size = 0;
int fusb_nblocks = 0;
int nchannels = 1;
int gain = 0;
int mode = 0;
int noverruns = 0;
bool overrun;
int total_reads = 10000;
int i;
int buf[SAMPELS_PER_READ];
int bufsize = SAMPELS_PER_READ*4;

if (loopback_p) mode |= usrp_standard_rx::FPGA_MODE_LOOPBACK;

if (counting_p) mode |= usrp_standard_rx::FPGA_MODE_COUNTING;

usrp_standard_rx_sptr urx = usrp_standard_rx::make (which_board, decim, 1, -1, mode, fusb_block_size, fusb_nblocks);

if (urx.px == 0)
{
fprintf (stderr, "Error: usrp_standard_rx::make\n");
exit (1);
}

if (width_8_p)
{
int width = 8;
int shift = 8;
bool want_q = true;
if (!urx->set_format(usrp_standard_rx::make_format(width, shift, want_q)))
{
fprintf (stderr, "Error: urx->set_format\n");
exit (1);
}
}
// Set DDC center frequency
urx->set_rx_freq (0, center_freq);
// Set Number of channels
urx->set_nchannels(1);
// Set ADC PGA gain
urx->set_pga(0,gain);
// Set FPGA Mux
urx->set_mux(0x32103210); // Board A only
// Set DDC decimation rate
urx->set_decim_rate(decim);
// Set DDC phase
urx->set_ddc_phase(0,0);

urx->start(); // Start data transfer

printf("USRP Transfer Started\n");
// Do USRP Samples Reading
for (i = 0; i < total_reads; i++)
{
urx->read(&buf, bufsize, &overrun);
if (overrun)
{
printf ("USRP Rx Overrun\n");
noverruns++;
}
// Do whatever you want with the data
process_data(&buf[0]);
}

urx->stop(); // Stop data transfer
printf("USRP Transfer Stoped\n");

//delete urx;
return 0;
}

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Jason Uher <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Ujala Qasim <address@hidden> wrote:
> I set my decimation rate to 200 and center_freq to 100.1, but the values of
> my samples is exceeding this range.

> Please specify the mistake that I'd be making...

This is very hard to do without any information at all regarding how
you captured the samples.

My first guess would be that you are doing on of the following:

Your flowgraph is modifying the values out of the usrp

 - or - (more likely)

Whatever tool you are using to read in the samples is not doing so correctly.

If you are using Linux I would install Octave and use the scripts in
"{trunk}/gnuradio/gnuradio-core/src/utils" to read the saved data from
a file_sink into Octave and check if you are still getting the same
kind of data.

Jason