[Discuss-gnuradio] Tx & Rx in one USRP

From: William Sherman
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tx & Rx in one USRP
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:03:52 +0100

Hi,

I want to use one USRP to transmit and receive. I tried setting up two
flowgraphs (top_blocks), one that will be a receiver "thread" and
another a transmitter "thread". However the program complains:

RuntimeError: gr_top_block_impl: multiple simultaneous gr_top_blocks not
allowed

Is there no way to have a receiver flowgraph in operation while
transmitting on a different daughterboard?

In order to implement a TX+RX in one USRP do I have to shut down the
receiver flowgraph every time I want to start up a transmitter
flowgraph?

I believe you can run two programs on the same USRP at the same time,
e.g.
TX:  ./benchmark_tx.py -f 2.4G  -v --discontinuous
RX: /benchmark_rx.py -f 2.4G --rx-gain=90  -v
which is pretty much the same as running two top blocks on the same USRP
(although IPC is much trickier). Doing this however I run into the same
problem as described in this thread,
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/131602#new, where no packets appear to
be received.