Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?

From: Frank Brickle
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:02:54 -0400

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:

> The understanding, then, is that it's explicitly OK for non-FSF-assigned
> code to go into dev branches of the official repo. That's news to me, and
> I'm glad to have it cleared up.

Nope, sorry for the confusion.

Code in gnuradio.org should be GPLv3 and assigned to FSF.  Using code
outside of the repo is fine as long as the outside code has a license
that is compatible with the GPLv3.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

You just reinforced the confusion.

I say,
> The understanding, then, is that it's explicitly OK for non-FSF-assigned
> code to go into dev branches of the official repo.
This branch:
<http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/developers/brickle>
*is*, obviously, on gnuradio.org.
However, you then say:
> Code in gnuradio.org should be GPLv3 and assigned to FSF.

I invoke the law of the excluded middle and claim that both assertions -- non-FSF-assigned is OK,  and Code...should be...assigned to FSF --
cannot hold at the same time :-)

What am I missing?

Frank

--
I have taken the stand that nobody can be always wrong, but it does seem to me that I have approximated so highly that I am nothing short of a negative genius. -- Charles Fort