Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python

From: Tim Meehan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python scripts
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:18:39 -0700

Can this be handled with symbolic links rather then renaming the scripts?

On 10/18/07, Johnathan Corgan < address@hidden> wrote:
A while back we did some clean up of the USRP examples, removing some
bit-rotted cruft, and moving the commonly used programs into gr-utils.

These included things like usrp_fft.py, usrp_rx_cfile.py, and those
scripts that over time have become more utilities than examples.

In the gr-utils component, we are now installing these into the
$prefix/bin directory, so they'll end up on the user's PATH and be
callable from anywhere without prefixing them with the examples path.

However, a common convention on Linux, at least on Debian, Ubuntu, and
derived systems (probably Redhat too), is to strip the language specific
extension off scripts in the path.

Would anyone have any heartache if we did this for the gr-utils scripts
as well as the relatively few other scripts we install on the path?

usrp_fft.py -> usrp_fft
usrp_rx_cfile.py -> usrp_rx_cfile

etc.

It's not a critical item, but if we do this, it will need to be before
the 3.1 stable branch is officially released.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC