Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python scripts
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:45:33 -0700

Greg Troxel wrote:

> From the NetBSD viewpoint, I think that's perfectly fine.
>
> It would be good if all the scripts started with a small set of prefixes
> like usrp_foo and gr_foo, to avoid collisions with at least most of the
> other 5000 packages.  Sounds like you are headed this way.

I agree that the $PATH installed files are in a global name space and
need usrp_ (if they are USRP related) or some other prefix (like gr_ as
you suggest) if they are not.

At least in gr-utils, we specifically made sure everything that gets
installed into $PATH starts with usrp_.  The 'print-db' script became
'usrp_print_db.py', for example.

There are other things which probably don't conform to this, and I want
to clean that up at the same time I remove .py suffix, if we go forward
with that.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC