Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:42:28 -0500

I've been thinking about this since yesterday. With a lower resolution
like Brian suggested the data would fit over a Gigabit Ethernet link.
Further, GE carries 100 meters which would allow one to put the device
right at the antenna if one has a weatherproof enclosure. Supplying
power would be an issue still, but that's easily overcome.
With some simple compression one might be able to accommodate a higher
performance ADC aswell, but that's an issue I shouldn't need to bother
with using 12 bits and 65MHz...

Power over Ethernet (PoE) can supply almost 13W of power (maximum).  I
am not sure if that is really an option or being considered for the
next USRP, but it is a potential solution for delivering power to
remote devices.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

It's a solution superior to PCIe in every way.

PCIe still has an advantage of much higher speeds and much lower
latency.  On the flip side, you can't put it 100m away.

Is there any work on this done already? If not, how do I start? =)

--
Nos

(I keep forgetting to add the cc. Sorry if I'm causing discontinuity.)

Brian