Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:50:45 +1030

On Monday 05 March 2007 07:44, Brian Padalino wrote:
> With regards to the PCIe interface, were you looking more at just
> getting a PHY transceiver and putting the MAC and other layers in the
> FPGA, or were you more interested in having a PCIe bridge chip that
> handles all of that for you?
>
> I know Philips and TI have PCIe transceivers which work with Xilinx
> and Altera IP for the MAC layer, but what I really found interesting
> was a PCIe bridge chip from PLX technologies.  It's a relatively hefty
> BGA, but if you can place it properly the chip could really be a huge
> help.  No NDA's are required and the information can be found here.

You would still need a PCI core although you can get those a lot cheaper than
PCIe cores. You can even get a free one from OpenCores (there is a PCI to
wishbone bridge for example).

As far as I am aware there are no PCIe equivalents to the PLX 9054 (for
example) - ie PCIe to local bus bridges.

You might need some information about laying out your board for PCIe
compliance however you can probably glean that information from a PLX example
design :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum