Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OT: Is there any Linux GPIB control software for

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OT: Is there any Linux GPIB control software for an HP 8640 SigGen (and not Labview...)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:56:48 -0500

John Clark wrote:
> Ok, I have my USRP setup understood, now I want to setup a calibration
> procedure, using
> an HP 8640B Signal Generator. The last time I had an interest in GPIB
> was in the early
> 80's and programming the TI 9914... (whatever happened to the TI 9900
> CPU... but I digress...).

I'm not aware that the 8640B has any GPIB capabilities; it's a manually
tuned instrument and doesn't have a CPU.

But as a general answer for GPIB on Linux, there is the Linux-GPIB
project at http://linux-gpib.sourceforge.net.  It supports most of the
GPIB cards (including PCMCIA and USB interfaces) that are out there, and
works pretty well.  It provides a C library that's largely (though not
completely) compatible with the NI interface, and it also has bindings
for several languages, including perl and python.

John