Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP w/o Daughterboard's

From: Robitaille, Michael
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP w/o Daughterboard's
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:50:17 -0700

Eric wrote

> Why do you think that code will need to be modified?

If I get the Basic RX board I don't.  I can't get to the web page to see if
there is any in inventory.  If there is I will.

> You'll want to look at the AD9862 data sheet to work out the right
interface between the 9862 and your

> circuitry.  VIN+ and VIN- from the

> 9862 run directly to the daughterboard.

I did look at the AD9862 and the USRP circuit.  I have a connector to make
contact to the J666 pins 62 and 60 which feeds the AD9862 VINP_A and VINN_A.
I worked out the interface but can't get past the codes that check for the
eeprom on the daughterboard.

Side but related question: How do you specify to the software if you are
using J18 or J19 on the Basic RX DB?  J18 feeds the B inputs while J19 feeds
the A inputs.  Does the software automatically determine at which connecter
there is an input and set's that has you data to process?

>> My old post:

>> Could you please point me to a reference of how I can modify the Basic?

>> RX DB?  I looked and could not find it on this board so far.

>Are you talking about the h/w or the s/w?

I am speaking of the h/w.  I found the post by Matt.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-04/msg00303.html
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-04/msg00303.html>

After reviewing his post and required modification that I would need to make
frustrates me.  My circuit already has a differential amplifier like he
mentions and the transformer on the Basic RX will not pass my signal.  The
problem is that the software needs to see the eeprom on the daughterboard
that I don't have and really don't need.  My only option is the bye the
Basic Rx and basically rip it apart (take off the transformer and AD8132 on
it - second I don't understand solution #1).  Modify the board in such a
fashion will not be easy or lead to a good solution.

Is there any information on how to make your own DB (with eeprom for id) and
input the parameters required by the software?  You would need to have the
possible slot_id for your board (SLOT_RX_A, SLOT_RX_B) and any other
parameters like the offset.  How should the eeprom be programmed?  I have
found the daughterboard EEPROM format in usrp_i1c_addr.h.  I have been
digging in this code way to much.

Mike