[Discuss-gnuradio] working version of gnuradio for windows (mingw) avail

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] working version of gnuradio for windows (mingw) available including audio-sink and wxgui
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 00:18:55 +0200

Hi all,
I made gnuradio compile on windows using mingw (no cygwin needed)
It works with the standard win32 binary distributions of python24-win32
python-numeric-win32, swig-win32, wxpython-win32 and python win32api
I still needed to build cppunit,fftw and boost myself (I added the built
cppunit and fftw dlls to my binary gnuradio-core, see links at end of mail)

I implemented a new gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping factory
I added O_BINARY flags to all file-operations
I hacked the m4 macros
I added a sed script (in Makefile.am) to replace all backslashes with forward
slashes in src/lib/swig/gnuradio_swig_python.d
Some more hacking.
My patched version should still build ok on other platforms but this needs to
be tested.

For source, binary,readmes and the patch:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gnuradio-core-2.5cvsmingw-clean-3.patch

I updated the wiki with links to my new files:
http://comsec.com/wiki?MinGW

You still need to give a whole lot of options (pathnames) to configure to work
around backslash forward slash problems and libtool absolute pathname problems.
Configure will find python if its on your path but then it uses c:/Python24 as prefix. It just doesn't work if something starts with c:\\somepath or c:/somepath, it needs to be /c/somepath so you have to override at the configure commandline.

./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --with-md-cpu=generic --with-cppunit-prefix=/mingw/cppunit --with-boost-include-dir=/d/boost_1_32_0/include/boost-1_32 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw/fftw/lib/pkgconfig PYTHON=/d/Python24/python am_cv_python_pythondir=/d/Python24/Lib/site-packages am_cv_python_pyexecdir=/d/Python24/Lib/site-packages 2>&1 | tee configure.log

I also implemented a gr-audio-windows  audio-sink (audio-source to be done, is
now an empty stub)
This needs some work (synchronisation, it crackles)
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gr-audio-windows-0.1.tar.gz

I also implemented a hacked gr-wxgui fftsink and scopesink which works with
standard wxpython for windows.
(also needs python win32api)
This uses win32 named pipes in stead of anonymous os.pipe() because the cpp code doesn't understand the filedescriptor python gives when using os.pipe() (It says bad filedescriptor) This works ok for fftsink but the scopesink needs win32 named pipe support in the gnuradio-core code (or a solution to the filedescriptor problem). I worked around this by using a standard file-sink in stead of scopesink. This means no triggers or whatsoever.

http://comsec.com/wiki?MinGW
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/

source, readmes and the patch:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/readme.mingw
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gnuradio-core-2.5cvsmingw-clean-3.patch
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gnuradio-core-2.5cvsmingw.tar.gz
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gr-audio-windows-0.1.tar.gz
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/source/gr-wxgui-0.3-mingw.tar.gz

binary:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/readme.mingw-bin
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/gnuradio-core-2.5cvsmingw-bin.zip
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/readme.mingw-bin-seperate
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/gnuradio-core-2.5cvsmingw-bin-separate/
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/gr-audio-windows-0.1-binary.zip
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/binary/gr-wxgui-0.3-mingw-built.tar.gz

I hope this is of use for anyone.
Please post results to the list (or modify the wiki to clarify things)

Greetings,
Martin Dvh