Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comb Filter (OT tangent)

From: Cory Papenfuss
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comb Filter (OT tangent)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:45:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Dave Dodge wrote:

I don't know much about the signal-level details, but some things that
immediately come to mind:

 - since (if I understand this correctly) you're talking about using an
   RGB framebuffer and the RGB signal lines to generate YPrPb signals,
   are the RGB voltage ranges going to be what you need?

I believe the video signal levels are the same 0.7v. I doubt that the RGB could do "blacker-than-black" except with the sync pulse, but it's not really necessary for regular video.

 - it would most likely work for progressive scan.  Do you also need
   the interlaced component formats?

Both will work... I've already cooked up modelines to generate NTSC-spec frequencies interlaced. I've even done sync-on-green and used that for a monochrome signal on a TV's Y-component and it worked fine. Pretty phsycho colors if you connect the other two to R and B... :)

There are some simple circuit designs floating around for DIY
RGB->component converters, so you could probably figure out
from those whether the signal itself will present any problems.

 http://www.epanorama.net/links/videocircuits.html#rgbyuv

Thanks... I've already seen that and built one. I've even built one that will generate composite/s-vid. It works, but it'd be nice to not even have to build hardware for it. This is of particular value to people on the mythtv list I subscribe to looking for cheap, high-quality tvout of their HTPC. It's silly to spend money on a good video card that will to XVideo well ($50-100), and then spend more good money ($100) on a transcoder. The XVideo is necessary to do YUV->RGB, and the transcoder does RGB->YCrCb. If the vid card is just three fast DACs, why bother converting and unconverting for a single-use settop system such as mythtv?

-Cory