Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio for FasTrak monitoring?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio for FasTrak monitoring?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:35:32 -0700

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:56:18PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> GNU Radio looks like an interesting way to bypass the deliberate
> bureaucratic roadblocks toward building your own FasTrak (RFID
> automobile tracking) transponders.  "In principle, anyone can
> manufacture Title 21 compliant equipment. In practice, ... they would
> not sell to anyone w/o CalTrans authorization.  We asked CalTrans
> ... and were told that they would not authorize SIRIT to sell
> transponders to us, but we were free to build our own."
>
> Now we have some tools to do so.
>
>       John

I've read over the specs.  Looks like this shouldn't be too hard to
do, particularly if we use a separate antenna for tx and rx.
The planned 902 - 928 MHz USRP daughterboard should work fine, though
we may need additional power on the Tx.

It would also be interesting to monitor one of the toll locations
and see if they're running other transactions besides the two listed
in the spec.

Eric