Re: [Denemo-devel] Thumbnails

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Thumbnails
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:01:02 +0100

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 16:52 +0200, Till Hartmann wrote:
> Am 27.05.2011 10:09, schrieb Richard Shann:
> > On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 23:01 +0200, Till Hartmann wrote:
> >> I think what you have to do is to append "::Thumb::URI" to "tEXt" and
> >> remove that piece from your current uri string:
> >> gdk_pixbuf_save (pb, thumbpath, "png"/*type*/, &err,
> >> "tEXt::Thumb::URI",
> >> uri [...])
> > That appears to work, thank you. I say appears as the warning message is
> > gone, but I am not sure we have anything to retrieve the information
> > currently...
> > Richard
> >

> I checked the sourcecode, here's what needs to be changed to make it work ;)
> - you need to create an md5sum of the file's URI
right, I had this wrong, I was using only the bit after file://, and
even dafter, the URI I was storing in the thumbnail was that of the
thumbnail itself :(
> - and that includes the
> leading "file://" (be aware that due to the fact that unix paths start
> with a leading slash, it will be "file:///home[...]". If you're planning
> to use the thumbnails in the open-dialog, be sure to make that filename
> to uri process windows safe)
> - at least nautilus uses the normal-sized thumbnails as default, be sure
> to store both sizes (you can never be sure which applications make use
> of which thumbsize ;) )
yes - only "normal" existed on my installation, created by the file
browser. For now I have reverted to saving normal size.
The bad news is that the file browser still pays no attention to the
thumbnail - my guess is it only looks for thumbnails on files whose type
it understands as being ones that can have them (perhaps only on those
that it generates thumbnails for?). The browser thinks that  Xxx.denemo
is a file of type xml (which it is) and gives it an icon to suit.
My guess is we would have to do some registration unto gnome of
the .denemo file type, and register a thumbnail generating program to
gnome before we would get anything to happen. This is far too specific
to one O/S and WM to be something we would want to do in that case.

So unless someone knows more I propose to store our thumbnails in
~/.denemo/thumbnails
where our filechooser can access them when we are looking to load a
score.