[Denemo-devel] Bugs, Features and Questions

From: Nils
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Bugs, Features and Questions
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:22:50 +0200

Here is my latest collection. Mostly its small things with the purpose to
create a better feeling to work in Denemo.

0)As you all already know the display is strange after copy&paste or "Adjust
the Barlines". Moving the cursor from the start to end is a workaround, but ...

1)in Notes/Rest there is ParenthizeNote, but the menu label says "No label".
Same for Chords: ParenthizeChord

2)Empty measures are full rests. Thats good. But if you enter a
non-note-object, like a rehearsel mark, in a complete empty measure it breaks
the lilypond output and the measure is removed.

2b) Copy and Paste the empty measure destroys it and leaves a mess of
incomplete measures and such

2c) "Adjust the Barlines" makes everything worse after that because it just
deletes all empty measures :)

3)If your screen-resolution is too small, or your Denemo window too small, not
all menus are shown. Especially the important "Menu of Objects".

4)Enter measure ("m") creates the the new one right before the current one.
Even if you are at the end of the current measure or even on the barline
itself. This is really a minor thing, but I find it confusing if you are on the
barline with your cursor and the new measure it not entered in between but in
another place.

5)"Add Voice" adds a label on top of the staff. But adding more and its gets a
mess because the labels cludge together. Maybe Matthias or someone else could
replace this with a more scalable solution like putting a small drop-down field
on top of the staff where you can choose the voice and which shows which voice
you are in right now if you choose to use your keys to change voices.

5b)The current voice (and the staffname) could also be shown in the status-bar.

5c)And only the voice on top (latest one) highlights the clef and timesig
("makes it black"). I think it does not matter then, so all could be pure black

6) This was added as a bug report some time ago, but is there really a reason
why barlines are grey? I know it was meant that this should show, that the
barlines are not the real one (compared to lilypond barliens) but making them
black maybe "feels" better.

7) If you enter a directive without a graphic currently, for example
(d-InsertLilyDirective), it just a small green line and the text-label is shown
between the staff-lines.
First it should be the other way around, the label should be under the staff.

Second the green line could be a bigger item, as tall as the staff itself, like
a barline, only thicker.
Maybe this way it feels more like a real "object" that can be grabbed, so its
easier to spot, select and handle.

Questions and Requests
========
1) Do you know if its possible to use an image instead of plain text. For
example a band-logo instead of your name as "Author".

2) What is the current state of selections? What is your opinion how "apply to
selection" should work.
In my opinion the user or scripter should not have to care how its done. If you
write a script for single objects it should work on the selections
automatically as if you selected each object on its own.

If you want to have a more custom behaviour, complex scripts that work for
complete staffs in genereal or enter new objects, you can easily place a
"Destory Selection" command first in your script.

3)Midi signals in Denemos "Manage Command Set":
There are many possibilites with MIDI and many commands besides notes and
musical instructions. There are midi-controllers, hardware, that have knobs and
motor-faders and additional buttons, and the sustain pedal and so on.

How do you assign these to Denemo-actions? Do you think it would be possible to
you midi-signals just the same as keybindings? In "Manage Command Set" you
choose a command, press "Assign Key" and it doesn't matter if you press [a] or
[tab] now, or use the Sustain-Pedal like a "shift" key. So Sustain+tab is a
different command than tab.

And there are many more midi-commands like the mentioned faders and buttons.

It has not to be pretty and written out "sustain pedal". some obscure number
should be enough. If its auto-detected Denemo has not to know at all what this
instruction is. It just detects it.

4)I still did not figure out how to move the cursor vertically(!) to the lowest
note on current horizontal position.
Example: In a script I move right with (d-NextNote) or even (d-CursorRight) and
my cursor is currently on the staff-line for g'. There is a note on b' and I
want to move the cursor automatically to that note. Or there is a chord that
begins on c' (so below the cursor-position) and I want the cursor to move to
the lowest note of that chord: c'.
Could you provide a scheme command for that?

Nils