Re: [Denemo-devel] Staff names not appearing in Lilypond output

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Staff names not appearing in Lilypond output
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:38:31 +0100

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 09:52 +0800, address@hidden wrote:
> I do not have time to investigate this at the moment, but if I have
> staff names of say Sop, Alto, the voice context names are written as
> VoiceI and VoiceII when you save as a Lilypond file, which means the
> staff names are lost when you read back in the  resulting  file .
Right. It would be better not to have a concept of "staff name" in
Denemo, which can be different from the instrument name, since this does
not have an intrinsic meaning in LilyPond (encoding the value in a
variable name is really just a trick to get the value into and out of
the LilyPond file). At one time, there was a special LilyPond comment
which Denemo used to distinguish voices from staffs (uggh!).
What would be good would be to output the current staff name as the \set
Staff.instrument = staff name
and then pick it back up from there.
(The syntax has changed in later LilyPond versions, but convert-ly copes
with this).