[Demexp-dev] Re: Demexp-dev Digest, Vol 48, Issue 6 : Python or php ?

From: Diogene Laerce
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Demexp-dev Digest, Vol 48, Issue 6 : Python or php ?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:21:49 +0700

Hello

First Id like to say that I dont receive the mails of the discussion ??
Just receive the summary at the end, is this normal ?

> Do you really want to use PHP? :-)
>
> In any case, if you prefer PHP, it might be better to use Augustin's
> code. We know it works and it does not need an external library, so it
> is going to be easier to deploy. Moreover, I don't find that the PHP
> xml-rpc external module improves code's clarity.

Does it not need drupal to work ?

> Not necessarily. That's why I asked if you had suggestions about using
> other languages. If you think Python is much more suited for that
> purpose, then we'll use Python. My only comment is: except for coding
> easyness and clarity, are there any major drawbacks using Python?... if
> not, let's Pythonize.
>
> Diogene, do you have any comments about this?

No thats ok for me.. I still think that demexp would need more that one
client. So I will follow in php cos I believe (tell me if Im wrong) that
it would be easier to find servers with php available than python.

> It can't work because those two mode are incompatible. Either you are
> running a CGI script (i.e. a Python script that is launch each time
> Apache handles an URL pointing to this script), or either you use
> mod_python and your code runs on a Python interpreter /within/ Apache.

Does it mean that you can use python scripts on a normal apache server
(no pre required installation) ?

Another question : Where can I find the options the server hosting
demexp propose (php, python, mysql...) ?

Yours
Diogene