criawips-devel

Re: [devel] sodipodi as a base for criawips

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: Re: [devel] sodipodi as a base for criawips
Date: 23 Jun 2003 10:31:22 +0200

Am Mon, 2003-06-23 um 07.31 schrieb Nadav Rotem:
> I wanted to suggest the use of sodipodi as a base for criawips. It seems to
> me like the sodi team had implemented a great set of functions for using
> floating objects , like criawips needs. I suggest forking sodi , dumping the
> outer shell and use the rendering engine for criawips.

  Sodipodi is nice, but how would you start to implement animations in
the sodipodi-canvas? I already played a lots with gdk_pixbuf (have a
look at gtk-demo for this) and I came to the conclusion that animations
should be implemented on level as low as possible.

> After such a fork ,
> functions like group and ungroup may be easily added while other features
> such as bezier's curve may be deprecated.

  I've been talking with dom, martin and hub from the abiword team. They
created a really good framework to create cross-platform applications.
Actually my current plan looks like this:

  * Wait for Abi2 to be released
  * Extract the cross-platform stuff from abiword.
  * Then start changing the gtk layout component to support single
    slides instead of a whole document with pages and page breaks
    and so on.

> As you can see in the screenshots , the canvas itself looks great. A new set
> of controls is definitely needed.

  I think that abiword has a great xp-codebase and that it should be
used by other applications to make more great gnome-apps (that can be
seen used other people too -- win32).

Regards,
  Sven

--