Re: PATCH: relpath

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: PATCH: relpath
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:24:59 -0700

On 12/01/2011 10:18 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Given there are existing realpath utils in both BSD and Debian,
>
> It is not necessarily everybody knows realpath. By default ubuntu
> doesn't have realpath installed. I'm not sure we should make the name
> less obvious than it should be just because there is a different that
> happen share some commonalities. Figuring out there is a option
> --relative in realpath is always going to be harder than figure out
> there is a command named relpath. When we name a function, we should
> emphasize more how users are going to find it.
>
> I'll let other people comment on the choice of the name for the users'
> perspective.

Personally, I don't see any value in adding 'relpath' as a separate
coreutil; 'realpath' is good enough.  It's not that hard to write a
'relpath' wrapper script around realpath, just like it's not hard to
write a 'hexdump' wrapper script around 'od'.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266