classpathx-xml

[Classpathx-xml] suggested build system

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Classpathx-xml] suggested build system
Date: 15 Apr 2002 15:11:18 +0100

This file:

   ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/classpathx/jaxp-module.tar.gz

is a copy of my local JAXP modules with the build changes.

My suggested build system has the following parts:

 aclocal.m4     contains some macro definitions for java stuff

 automakejar    a shell script the builds MAKE files

 Makefile.aj    the source Makefile

 configure.in   the autoconf source

The depenancies:

- aclocal (which is part of the auto-tools suite)
- autoconf v2.52 (the latest version)

The build sequence goes like this:

  $ cd jaxp // or wherever
  $ aclocal
  $ autoconf
  $ ./automakejar Makefile.in
  $ ./configure
  $ make

I've been using automakejar in a couple of other places and it seems
to work pretty well. It produces a Makefile that does pretty much
what the old jaxp Makefile did but because it's template based the
clutter is removed.

automakejar is still being worked on, I'm sure that we'll find a
number of environmental tricks that make it more and more portable,
but I don't expect the central means of compiling a java project to a
jar file to change unless Make gets significantly more complex.

I believe that automakejar *could* be replaced by automake but I'm
not aware if automake can do what automakejar can do. Right now I
think it's true to say that automakejar is a whole lot easier to work
that automake.

Nic