Re: AF_UNIX Sockets Implementation based on GNU-Classpath

From: Norbert Frese
Subject: Re: AF_UNIX Sockets Implementation based on GNU-Classpath
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:18:00 +0100

At 15:26 04.12.2002 +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> Norbert Frese <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > i think it should be a 'gnu.javax' library, because the 'java.net'
> > library looks like it was designed for ip-sockets only.
> > please tell me, which package-name you would like - that i can start
> > converting the sources.
> > what do you think of the package name
> >
> > 'gnu.javax.net.afunix'
> > or
> > 'gnu.javax.net.uxlocal'?
>
> I think Nic Ferrier maintains a list of gnu.* packages who is using
> them on the FSF java web page, maybe it fits in the gnu.inet
> namespace.  None of the projects seem to be interested in using
> gnu.javax that I see listed there.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/java/packages.html

That's right Brian.

I think this should be the package name:

   gnu.net.local

> > besides it would be nice to allow classpath-independent building of
> > the library - for using it with other vm's. i don't know about the
> > legal issues here - for instance with the name 'gnu' - would it be
> > possible to publish such a classpath-independent version via
> > sourceforge?
>
> Non-FSF projects can be hosted on Savannah.  I wouldn't recommend
> Sourceforge.

Can you also check out the ClasspathX project's version of the socket
provider library? It's supposed to be used to provide new and
interesting socket implementations.

It's in the CVS at:

   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/classpathx

Nic

hi!

ok. i will use 'gnu.net.local'.
but i was not able to find the socket
provider library in the classpathx cvs (using web-cvs interface). did it move to another place?

norbert