Re: build ideas

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: build ideas
Date: 17 Oct 2001 09:19:38 -0400

Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm all for a way to compile the .class files without the shared
> libraries.  I develop on a cygwin platform, which does not have the best
> support for free VMs or for shared libraries, so I tend to just compile
> the java files.

I'd like to get native compilation working with cygwin and perhaps
eventually with Mingw.  I actually managed to write a working .dll
with Mingw a couple of weeks ago... and I don't consider myself a
Windows programmer.  The fact it just worked was amazing to me.

Gcj might work on cygwin.  Porting ORP would probably not be too hard
although it would help if they used autoconf with that one.

> By the way, I think developers should have the autotools installed on
> their machine, so I see no reason for CVS to keep track of generated
> files like configure and Makefile.in, only the originals like
> Makefile.am.  The generated files should be part of the distribution,
> though, since end users should not be required to have all the developer
> tools just to use the final product.  Fortunately, automake does this
> correctly.

I think we're doing this correctly today.

> Who knows, improving the build framework might inspire someone to
> improve the dependency tracking that jikes does, to make that part of
> compilation even more efficient and compatible with automake.

I tried working with jikes dependency tracking some time ago and I
think I pretty much gave up on it.  What is the current state of this?

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>