Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile (was Errors building eggs in mingw/msy

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile (was Errors building eggs in mingw/msys)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:29:25 -0500

Ashley scripsit:

> Actually, the problem turned out to be my misunderstanding of the
> intent of the mingw-msys makefile.  I assumed it was similar to
> the cygwin build, but I realize now that doesn't make much sense
> as mingw uses the microsoft runtime.  So things like chicken-setup,
> which ultimately call system(), need paths windows can understand.
> I was using it as if /home referenced the root of the file system,
> when in fact it sits at c:\msys\1.0\home.

Do remember though that the Windows kernel is perfectly happy with /
rather than \, which makes things much simpler.  CMD insists on \;
I don't know about MSVC makefiles.

> The easyffi egg won't build, at least with MSVC 2003, because it
> contains a literal string larger than 65535 characters.

Sounds like the egg should be refactored to break up the string, since
consecutive strings in ISO C are implicitly concatentated anyway.

--
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            http://ccil.org/~cowan