[Chicken-users] Re: Eggs' documentation (was Re: New snapshot available)

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Eggs' documentation (was Re: New snapshot available)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:30:49 +0200

On 8/24/05, Mario Domenech Goulart <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was just looking for the message which originated the request for
> these features when I received this e-mail.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Should the documentation be provided as HTML or in the eggdoc format?

In HTML, please. It's copied verbatim into the repository and
chicken-setup regenerates the index.html file.

> 2. I think the possibility of having the documentation available from
>    the repl useful.  Is it a general opinion or just my own?
>
> If the answer for 1 is "eggdoc" and for 2 is "general", what do you
> think about the idea of extending the eggdoc egg in such a way that it
> can also generate the documentation according to the man egg file
> format?

This is a very good idea. To avoid having eggdoc installed on the
target system, One could simply add the appropriate man file to the
egg (and install it together with the html), or perform an eggdoc->man
conversion from the setup script. If requested we could make the
transformation a part of chicken-setup.

> So we could have pretty formatted output (HTML) and a way to
> quick-access the documentation from the repl, both resulting from the
> same input (the eggdoc formatted file).
>
> Worth, difficult, useless?  What do you think?

Very useful.