chicken-janitors

[Chicken-janitors] Re: #281: promote irregex to full unit

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: [Chicken-janitors] Re: #281: promote irregex to full unit
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:44:29 -0000

#281: promote irregex to full unit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------+----
 Reporter:  zbigniew                                                   |
Owner:  felix
     Type:  enhancement                                                |

Comment(by felix):

 Replying to [comment:34 sjamaan]:

 > Apologies if this thread is becoming unmanageable :(

 I think it's great fun.

 > I was wondering about this: what happens to eggs using irregex?  They
 currently (use regex) or (require-library regex) and (import irregex).
 This would stop working when regex is its own egg, wouldn't it?  So eggs
 using irregex would need to depend on the regex egg during some transition
 period.  It wouldn't be too great if they all started depending on a
 bleeding edge version of Chicken since several OSes might still have 4.5.0
 or older in their package systems.

 That's right, but both should work. `(require-library regex)` or
 `(require-extension regex)` should be a noop on older chicken systems.
 `chicken-install regex` (or indirect installations due to dependencies)
 will install the new egg, but its .setup script will do nothing if the
 current chicken does include the regex core unit (version < X.X.X) or
 install the regex extension otherwise. `(import irregex)` should work for
 all chicken versions. What will not work on newer chickens is `(begin
 (require-library irregex) (import regex))` (but that may be somewhat
 contrived).

 My head is spinning. This just has to be tested extensively.

--
Ticket URL: <http://www.irp.oist.jp/trac/chicken/ticket/281#comment:38>
Chicken Scheme <http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/>