Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:17:56 -0400

Felix Winkelmann scripsit:

> Well, actually we might as well support several: ASCII/Latin-1, UTF-8
> and UCS-2/UCS-4. Without UTF-8 it would just be a variable
> element-size option. But I agree that this doesn't make maintenance
> any easier... Let's think some more about this. We don't have to
> decide right now.

UCS-2 is obsolete; it would need to be UTF-16 (i.e. support of
surrogates).

In any case, Alex's point about the FFI is strong.  Even on Windows,
UTF-8 is coming to be the dominant way to talk to C programs, and it's
part of the spirit of Chicken (IIUC) that talking to C is clean and easy.
On Posix systems, UTF-8 is massively dominant.

Similarly, on the Web, UTF-8 encodes a huge majority of all Web
pages.  As of early 2012, UTF-8 (including pure ASCII) was at 80% (see
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/unicode-over-60-percent-of-web.html>),
and <http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/character_encoding/all>
shows it still rising.  These figures aren't comparable, because Google
is using its whole index and the *effective* encoding, whereas W3Techs
is using only a large subset (10 million sites, usually only page per
site) and the declared encoding (HTTP header, HTML meta, etc.)  Still,
both reports are loud and clear that UTF-8 is winning.  Not having to
transcode web pages most of the time is a win too.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
Why are well-meaning Westerners so concerned that the opening of a