Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:10:54 -0400

Felix Winkelmann scripsit:

> Hm. Wasn't wchar_t on Windows 16 bits? Do they use UTF-16 there?

Yes, they do nowadays.  Of course, so do the JVM and the CLR.

> The internal representation is a different issue compared to the
> external encoding. It would be nice if we could separate these two
> things somehow.

We don't want to couple them so tightly that we can't do anything else.
But aligning with the common case is no bad thing.

> Also, unicode-related discussion quickly get out of hand. So let's
> postpone this until later.

Sure.  The Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement has infinite
patience.  The future belongs to us (as well as much of the present,
which was my point).  Today the world hears us, tomorrow the Chicken!

:-)

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
We want more school houses and less jails; more books and less arsenals;