Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:23:49 +0100

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:19:20AM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Felix scripsit:
>
> > I like the idea of tgz-submission (did John suggest it? I can't
> > remember, it's already 60 seconds later). How about a central store
> > that accepts tgz's and external clients, that keep their own
> > infrastructure (and DVCS's), who regularly pull repos from the actual
> > contributors and have a simple tool to upload the egg? That way we
> > could decouple the DVCS->Egg process from the infrastructure that
> > stores and serves the egg.
>
> The bad bit, as I was saying on #chicken, is that making and publishing
> tarballs automatically isn't very easy unless you run a server.

Did you even read the proposal?  There's a section that mentions how to
work around that for subversion and other tools that don't offer tarballs
but do offer a way to obtain the raw files.  Google code offers raw
access to files.

> For example, if you host on Google Code, there's no way to persuade it
> to construct a tarball for the central site to pull.  So either I have
> to generate a tarball by hand and upload it somewhere else (my web site,
> say), or I have to run my own server, which I'm not set up to do.

I agree that manually uploading tarballs would be a nuisance.  One of the
design goals is *no extra work* for egg authors (I suppose this other guy
didn't read the proposal either; apparently we're just bikeshedding here)
and manual egg submission is extra work.  We used to work like this about 6
years ago, before we had the svn tree.  It was annoying.

Also, for tarball submission we'd also need to write extra code, unless we
*really* want to revert to what we had 6 years ago, where people were
expected to mail their tarballs to felix directly for him to publish on the
web.

Cheers,
Peter
--