Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:33:25 -0400 (EDT)

From: John Cowan <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 02:19:20 -0400

> Felix scripsit:
>
>> I like the idea of tgz-submission (did John suggest it? I can't
>> remember, it's already 60 seconds later). How about a central store
>> that accepts tgz's and external clients, that keep their own
>> infrastructure (and DVCS's), who regularly pull repos from the actual
>> contributors and have a simple tool to upload the egg? That way we
>> could decouple the DVCS->Egg process from the infrastructure that
>> stores and serves the egg.
>
> The bad bit, as I was saying on #chicken, is that making and publishing
> tarballs automatically isn't very easy unless you run a server.
> For example, if you host on Google Code, there's no way to persuade it
> to construct a tarball for the central site to pull.  So either I have
> to generate a tarball by hand and upload it somewhere else (my web site,
> say), or I have to run my own server, which I'm not set up to do.

I don't know what you said on #chicken, but my point was that the
original maintainer is not the one who pushes the tarball. It could be
done by others, possibly automatically. The one who publishes the
original code is not involved in the whole process other that putting
up his/her code on the internet. Other persons (with access to the
appropriate dvcs) could run a semiautomatic task to pull releases
and submit tarballs to us.

cheers,
felix