Re: [Chicken-hackers] parallel build failure

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] parallel build failure
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 01:00:04 -0600

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 13:00, Jim Ursetto <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:00 AM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
>>> I got a report today that chicken-4.0.0 fails and that it is probably a
>>> parallel
>>> build failure[1].
>
>> Don't use parallel builds.
>
> Well, that's one option :) Parallel builds at -j2 have always worked
> for me but there has been an intermittent failure issue for several
> months; it always happens with setup-download, so I believe the
> problem lies with a missing dependency there.  I will try to take a
> look at this, Marijn.  I haven't yet because at -j2 I can simply
> restart the build and it always works.

Hi there, ghosts of Chicken past.

Although it's still officially unsupported, Peter Bex's revamp of the
makefile system after 4.6.0 seems to have enabled reliable parallel
builds.  I am now able to build repeatedly at -j2, -j3 and -j4.   On
the quad-core system I tested on, -j4 is 3.4 times faster than -j1.

Jim