Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:25:49 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>   As I am preparing to resume work on Debian packaging, I would prefer
>  that there will be no radical changes to the egg SVN repository for
>  the time being, because the reorganization into release branches
>  already wasted enough time, and we are better off improving Chicken
>  and developing new eggs rather than shoving directories back and
>  forth, arguing how the eggs should be versioned, etc. If anyone needs
>  some small fixes and tweaks to the current system, I volunteer to make
>  the necessary changes to chicken-setup and the various other
>  scripts. But I really would like to have a stable tree from which I
>  can automatically build Debian packages. So perhaps we could hold off
>  big changes until there are a couple of Chicken 3.x releases.

Ivan, I'm the absolutely *last* person who wants to change anything
right now. But several people have problems with the current setup
and I don't think it is wrong to start thinking about alternatives.
There is no timeline for this and I would once again like to emphasize
that I do not think fiddling with the current system will make much
of an improvement in the long run.

So there is a lot of time to think of something better, if there
are still chicken maintainers left...

cheers,
felix