bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: `f' and `b' again --- what about seeking?

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: `f' and `b' again --- what about seeking?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:24:37 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So where does `f' go?  Maybe `&' or `~' (see Dired)?
>
> I don't get the Dired reference.

The played tracks are likely to be "garbage" in many cases.
In another sense, they are "backups" of played tracks.

I think the backup metaphor is the better one.  Besides, I
just put a p/r/m command on `&' the other day (not that that
couldn't move, but, well, blah).

So, all in favor of `~'?

We could also add `* ~' for _marking_ all played tracks ---
if that need should ever arise.

> There are a lot of unused funny keys; @ # $ ^ = \ and on.

Yeah... that's really cool.  We have all those funky
commands just waiting to be made up. :-)

> Then we have `C-c C-f', which is a natural place to stuff away `f'.

On the other hand, the current `C-c' keys all control playback,
which really isn't anything like what `f' does.  We don't have
to follow that pattern --- in fact, we won't be able to, because
we don't have that many playback-controlling commands, --- but
maybe there's a wider pattern, --- something like, "non-local
commands that don't just operate on the track under point," ---
that includes the flush command.  Yeah, I think that makes sense.

So `C-c C-f' could work, but I like `~' better.  What about you?

> I think `f' was a little too easy to hit ...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.  It makes more sense to
put a more harmless command like fast-forward on that key.

It's also better to have fast-forward on an easy-to-hit key
because you'll want to reach it easily and hit it many times.

Finally, it seems aesthetically pleasing to have `f' and `b'
bound to symmetrical commands.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>