bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] seek and volume

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] seek and volume
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:36:16 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

>> Right, so rapid consecutive relative seeking commands end up
>> seeking to the same place over and over.  That's no good.
>>
>>> Do you think this can be worked around?
>>
>> Yes, I have installed a fix.
>>
>> See if you like it.  It should actually improve the
>> interactive seeking for all backends a little bit.
>
> It's certainly an improvement for VLC.

Good.

> But it's worse now with the other back-ends.

Bad. :-)

> Seeking is jerky, or at least the progress bar is.

Hmm, I agree mplayer is rather jerky (because it sucks),
but I don't think mpg123 is.

I think seeking with mpg123 (and mplayer, really) feels
smoother now that you get immediate feedback, because you
can hit `f' a bunch of times in rapid succession and the
seek bar will move along nicely.

Anyway, what do you mean by jerky?

> And now, seeking backwards to or below (!) 0% gives errors
> and/or stops playback.

Haha, that was kind of fun doing though.  (It's fixed now.)

> The mpg123 back-end crashes sometimes while seeking
> backwards, but I don't know why.  Probably it receives
> some strange input values.

I can't seem to reproduce this.

That patch made Bongo send floating-point values to mpg123.
I have uploaded a patch that avoids this.  Maybe that helps?

Please see if the problem is still around.

Thanks for helping me test this.

Best regards,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>