bna-linuxiran

[linuxiran] verisign DNS modification

From: Arash Partow
Subject: [linuxiran] verisign DNS modification
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:18:30 +1000

Greetings to all...

This e-mail is mainly for people involved in ISP or management of
ISPs, as of today verisign has modifed the DNS TLD for wildcards,
in short if you enter an incorrect domain name instead of getting a
404 error you will be routed to a verisign site (more info can be
found anywhere on the net)

Admins should take note of this misuse of power and attempt to block
the routed verisign ip from their locally cached DNSs  and secondary
level DNSs (if they are in-charge of maintaining one) and instead return
the normal 404 back to the end node.

If anyone needs help doing this I can help with server configs running
bsd, debian and windows server 2000-2003, so just send me a line.

Arash

PS: the url to the routed site is: sitefinder.verisign.com
       IP                                  : 64.94.110.11

Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net