bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error

From: Bastien Tran
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 15:21:12 +0200

Hi Martin!

Hi Bastien!

Usually all X programs have an option -display that sets the output
X display, so you can use
$ myprogram -display :1

Or use the environment variable DISPLAY:
$ DISPLAY=:1 myprogram

Thanks! Exporting R to a different display works alright.
Now the problem is with the way R works (or what I understand of it so far): when plotting, R generates windows (I need two of these) that normally open in the same display as R.
I don't now if there is a way to "export" a window (maybe as a process - but that means the window already exists) to another display. I am looking into that as it would surely do the trick

It is also possible from R to specify which display to use when plotting but apparently once this choice is made all plots should go to this same display. I am also exploring for a workaround in R.

I am also wondering if, instead of running additional x servers (I like the idea a lot though!), there is a possibility to make use of the 4 workspaces on linux desktops in a similar fashion (where displays = workspaces)?
I don't know the plausibility and implications of such an approach but it seems interesting in that:
-Quick testing indicates that moving plots across workspaces (along with their interactivity features!) is possible. That may be a plus for further testing.
-It probably wouldn't imply dealing with the terminal, making it easier to share with some audiences.

I hope I am not asking too much as this is less directly related to bino but I would be glad to have your opinion about these options, especially if they may affect bino's performances.

Best regards,
Bastien