bino-list

[Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)

From: Bastien Tran
Subject: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 13:57:39 +0200

Dear all,

I apologize in anticipation if this is not the place or way to ask such question. I am all new to this (bino, x11, and posting on mailing-lists!).

I intend to use Bino in order to output stereo (on my institution's CAVE) or alternating (on my workstation for prior testing) from two x11 inputs. The idea is to display 3d plots from R using active stereoscopy.

So far I haven't been able to grab any x11 device with Bino. When setting one x11 device Bino returns an error (same error with two devices):

"localhost:0.0+100,100 : Input/output error"

*I have built FFmpeg from source to make sure libx11 and libdc1394 supports (I assume the former only is necessary in my case) were enabled.

*Also I am not familiar with FFmpeg (yet) but I have managed to grab my desktop without any trouble so I don't think there is anything wrong with my x11 devices descriptions in Bino.

*I have no troubles getting an alternating output from two video files. So the devil might be in the x11 grab solely.

I run Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) MATE 64 on a Dell Optiplex 790 (RAM 8 GB - Intel-Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz) and have the same issue with different OS/computer configurations: Linux Mint 16 (Petra) DE 32, Linux Mint 16 MATE 32).

By the way and if it is not too much asking, has anyone tried or witnessed Bino outputing R plots (such as those in demo(stereo) from the rgl package)? I believe R plot windows are x11 devices and as such could be easily grabbed (but again I am new to this).

Thank you in advance for reading this.

All the best,
Bastien