bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Release plans

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Release plans
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:59:26 +0200

On 13/04/11 21:34, Martin Lambers wrote:
> After that, we can start thinking about a stable 1.0 release. There are
> of course still a lot of features missing when compared to other video
> players, but I think that Bino now has reached a state where it is
> actually doing something useful :)   In your opinion, is there something
> that absolutely has to be added before 1.0?

Based on the feedback (some of it off-list), the following might seem
realistic:

Features for 1.0.0 (to be released soon; maybe at the end of this month):
- Russian translation (Alexey)
- Polish translation (Robert)
- Maybe a "loop playback" option that in its first version will simply
replay the current video when hitting its end.
- Maybe an improved sync-to-vblank behaviour on X11 (GNU/Linux). Qt's
built-in implementation of this seems outdated.

After 1.0.0:
- Make media_input more flexible so that files can be added during
playback (e.g. subtitle files)?
- Add deinterlacing support?
- Better interaction with output devices, e.g. by setting device modes
(if this is possible)?
- Support for rendering subtitles into black bars instead of the video area?
- Playlist support?
- Extend the "loop playback option" to support A->B loops (and playlist
loops if there is a playlist)?

Long-term goals:
- Rework media input and player interaction/controlling so that it is
possible to support devices like DVDs (libdvdread) and BluRays (libbluray).
- Hardware accelerated video decoding.

Is something still missing from this list? Maybe we should put it into a
TODO file so that it is not lost.

Martin