bibulus-dev

Re: [Bibulus-dev] LaTeX-Bibulus interface, a prposal

From: Thomas M. Widmann
Subject: Re: [Bibulus-dev] LaTeX-Bibulus interface, a prposal
Date: 06 Jul 2003 13:00:46 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas M. Widmann) writes:

> address@hidden (Palle Jørgensen) writes:
>
> > I am trying to find out how the user interface should with the bibulus
> > LaTeX package.
> > [...]

I think it'll also be a good idea to check the citation commands in
jurabib (the German documentation is said to be more up-to-date than
the English one).  For instance, it allows for specifying editors
("Bearbeiter") in text, e.g., \cite[p.~12][Bassenge}{kkstrr} ->
"Kodal/Kraemer/Bassenge, StrR, p. 12".  There are also many commands
that control whether the next reference will be full or shortened.

Another question is what types of citation that are necessary.  Natbib
and related packages have two main forms, \citet and \citep; both
produce [4] in numerical citation mode, but in author-date style the
difference comes out as Jones (1999) vs. (Jones 1999).

But wouldn't it be nice to have more types?  For instance, it always
irritates me when I see something like "An example is shown in [4]",
because there is no ways of telling from the context what [4] means.
"An example is shown in Jones (1999)" would have been OK, though.  So
I was thinking of some \cite commands that will generate some minimal
text.  For instance, what do you all think of the following:

\citet{ref}     Jones (1999)     Thesaurus [4]
\citep{ref}     (Jones 1999)     [4]
\citea{ref}     Jones (1999)     Jones [4]

This could be used as follows:

   \citea{ref} is a good example of something.
   ``Gnus are nice animals.'' \citep{ref}
   For more examples, consult \citea{ref}.

Which in author-year would result in:

   Jones (1999) is a good example of something.
   ``Gnus are nice animals.'' (Jones 1999)
   For more examples, consult Jones (1999).

But in numeral citing, it would give us:

   Jones [4] is a good example of something.
   ``Gnus are nice animals.'' [4]
   For more examples, consult _Thesaurus_ [4].

/Thomas
--
Thomas Widmann          Bye-bye to BibTeX: join the Bibulus project now!
address@hidden              <http://www.nongnu.org/bibulus/>