[Axiom-mail] Re: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs

From: Norman Ramsey
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Re: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:54:32 -0500

 > I've written some tutorial notes on the pamphlet idea to try to get
 > everyone at the same level of discussion...

Tim,

It sounds fascinating.  I'm delighted that Noweb might help enable
such an interesting and ambitious project.

Readers might be interested to know that Noweb supports documentation
in LaTeX, troff, HTML or plain text, so there is some flexibility on
the weaving side as well.

 > RE: NOWEB CHANGES
 >
 > Currently noweb needs to expand the chunk definition syntax
 > to handle some more general scheme such as a URL. We need to
 > be able to extract code chunks from other pamphlets...

My opinion is that this would be easy to do using a Noweb filter.

 > It would be useful if this could happen for text blocks also
 > so that generally useful descriptions could be inserted into
 > multiple pamphlets. Since the text blocks currently have
 > no label this becomes problematic. We need to develop text
 > labels so we can follow a uniform scheme. Multiple text blocks
 > containing essentially the same information already exist in
 > the system. This needs to be fixed.

For complex documents, we have wound up storing both `code' and `text'
in Noweb code chunks.  I have not explored clever ways of `weaving'
such documents.

Good luck!

Norman