[Axiom-mail] Samples

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Samples
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:00:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi All,

        I have now had a close look at Aldor/Algebra (which was by the way
not so easy to get even working on my SuSE system). However, messed up
with my Maple experience, I have variouse problems in understanding the
philosophy behind the type systems and the organization of the
proceedures.

a) From a very modern point of category theory one has to go for a
function based setting. Stes are just special cases of objects in a
category. However, Aldor (Axiom?) is an imperative language, not a
functional one. Is there a chance to restrict the occurence of _objects_
to instances (at least in own programs)?

b) Are there Axiom programs available which one can analyse to learn how
to use the system? (Axiom programs dealing with mathematics, e.g. a
Groebner package, or something else) I do usually lern by stealing :) The
Aldor programs in the help/reference documentation are quite trivial...
but were instructive to see its doing what it should.

c) Could someone provide a list of reference application and put it on the
AXIOM web-site, this would be of tremendous help (for me :)

d) Is the algebra layer of AXIOM code already available? If so it is
readable by someone not pretty familiar with Aldor/Axiom language?
[By the way if I have to wait for the pamphlet files, this might take very
long, and Perhaps I could try to document some code during my trail to try
to nderstand it anyway?]

e) Is and Aldor program runable in Axiom (later)? In other words, if
I start to do something bigger in Aldor, can it be reused in Axiom
later (and vice versa)?

Any poiners to projects, programs, documentation is welcome.

Thanks for your time.
BF.

% Bertfried Fauser          Fachbereich Physik    Fach M 678
% Universit"at Konstanz     78457 Konstanz        Germany
% Phone : +49 7531 883786   FAX : +49 7531 88-4864 or 4266
% E-mail: address@hidden
% Web   : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser