Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:31:41 +0200

Hi Martin,

Better it is free and there is a little chance that some day someone
picks it up) than non-free and unmaintained.

I don't understand the technical issues and I agree that, in most cases,
choice is a good thing.

This is not about choice or fragmentation. Simply look at the error messages you get from any of the pan-axiom systems. Aldor is not perfect, but the compiler is much more mature than any of the axiom-like systems.

Understand me correctly, I want to Aldor free in order to write code in a properly specified language (which SPAD unfortunately isn't (yet)). (You've certainly read the Aldor User Guide.)

I'm not sure whether any of the system will take Aldor as their primary compiler, but at least for FriCAS I want to make sure that I can use it the day that the Aldor compiler becomes free.

Ralf