Re: [Axiom-developer] Version numbers and merging improvements

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Version numbers and merging improvements
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:03:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just a side remark Cliff.
>
> > If that sounds good to everyone I'll volunteer to cook up a patch
> > that can be merged into both Gold and Silver to implement it.
>
> Nothing will ever be merged into Gold. We have Silver which is
> SF:trunk (always in sync with Tim's git archive) and at some point
> in time we simply *call* it Gold, it gets a version number, time
> stamp, etc. And then we continue working on (the same) trunk as
> usual. Actually, we should have a freeze time, but for the moment
> let's not complicate things more than they are already.

Well, the cvs and arch trees currently represent the Gold archive.  I
agree that normal procedure would be to "tag" the release and generate
tarballs from that, but my understanding was that we were going to
maintain the arch archive as "the" gold archive and the cvs mirror in
sync with the arch archive.  Has that changed?

> We should just make a note in the archive that this particular
> revision is the release revision. That's it.

Well, I suppose the function that prints the Axiom header could be made
to check if the branch and build used to make the binary correspond to
a known release, and if so print the release number.  Maybe store the
release<->revision information in a hash table or something.  That
would be future proof if we ever switch to tagging the Silver branch
for releases.  Hmm...

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.