Re: [Axiom-developer] Version numbers and merging improvements

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Version numbers and merging improvements
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:

> > But we do have one that works with the current situation -
> > yymm.branch.revision.
>
> But it's not implemented.  In a parallel email, Gaby pointed out how
> this could be done.  Maybe you could take an afternoon to implement
> it for build-improvements, wh-sandbox and trunk.  That would make me
> very happy.

That sounds doable.  I'm going to make another attempt at getting a
seriously working computer today - once I am up and running again
(fingers crossed), I'll attempt this.

Now, one question - as far as I can tell, trunk and the other branches
will be using different mechanisms to deal with this (obviously, as
some have autoconf and some don't).  Also, it will be necessary to run
svn (and maybe git, cvs or arch) commands to get the information
needed, and the commands to do so will probably vary somewhat depending
on platform.

I'll take a look at following Gaby's hints and make a file that
contains the key information for autoconf (or whatever) to target.
That file could be script updated or hand updated as needed (say on a
platform where the script doesn't work).  I'll start on a pamphlet
file.  I guess for windows something like this would be done with a
.bat script?  Or can I assume sh since we will need the Windows compile
environment anyway?

Of course, for tarballs and binaries generated from development trees
the convention can be adopted straight off.  So a tarball made from
wh-sandbox revision 607 on July 1st 2007 would be:

axiom-20070701.wh-sandbox.607.tar.gz

and a binary compiled from that tree would be:

axiom-windows-20070701.wh-sandbox.607.exe

I like it.

Cheers,
CY