RE: [Axiom-developer] boottocl

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] boottocl
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:13:15 +0200

Actually compiling stuff is extremely fast ;-) -- compared to 1991 or so
on a sun sparc ipc with 8 or 32 MBytes of memory. There were some
functions (not files) which took hours to compile. And in the meantime
not only the hardware has evolved, but some data structures in the SPAD
compiler
changed from alists to hashes.

Besides -- compile times on gcl are longer than on other lisp platforms,
due the generation of c code and the gcc step. The easy portabily of
gcl has a price.

Regards

Juergen Weiss

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407