Re: [Axiom-developer] boottocl

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] boottocl
Date: 01 Oct 2006 05:57:05 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > there exist two implementations of boottran::boottocl:
| >   1. one in interp/util.lisp,
| >   2. and on in boot/ptyout.boot.
| >
| > Which one is the real boottocl compiled into the Boot translator?
|
| at one time the two parsers handled differently languages,
| the 'old' boot language and the 'new' boot language. the
| boot parser was written in the old boot language and the
| rest of the system was coded in the new boot language.
| the goal was to unify the two language.

OK; as I'm trying to find my way through the system, is there a place
where I could find differences of the two languaes?

| i don't remember whether we fully resolved that issue.
| the only way to guarantee they are the same is to verify
| that they ultimately call the same functions. or you can
| translate each of the boot files with both functions and
| see if the resulting lisp code is equal.

I'll try the second one.  However, for the moment, one of them seems
to put the result on the translation in the "int/" directory when I
really want it somewhere else.  It is not obvious from looking at the
code, how the the results end up in the "int/" directory.

| one of the parsers used to live in the boottran package
| and the other lived in the boot package. there is a subtle
| issue of which macros are loaded into each image which
| affects the ultimate expansion of the code.

interesting.