[Axiom-developer] FW: [SandBox Maxima] Try this

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FW: [SandBox Maxima] Try this
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 04:04:27 -0400

On Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:02 PM Bob McElrath wrote:

> Use the texmacs scripts directly, and modify them...
>
> echo "integrate(x^2,x);" | maxima -p \

/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/maxima/lisp/texmacs-maxima-5.9.2.lisp
\
>     > integral.txt
>
> Note that the texmacs inserts a lot of control characters
> that will make your xterm go goofy, so above I sent the
> output to a file and you can look at it with a text editor.
>
> We really don't want to parse maxima's ascii-art... ;)
>
> Good work!

Thanks to this wonderful suggestion the new Maxima interface
on MathAction is looking pretty good! :)

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxMaxima

I modified the texmacs-maxima-5.9.2.lisp code a little to emit
XML-style tags instead of the TeXmacs weird control characters.
The resulting protocol is much easier to handle in Python.

So thanks to Bob and the original authors: James Amundson and
A.G. Grozin, this was a lot easier to do than I thought. :)

Please give this a try and report any problems via IssueTracker.