[Axiom-developer] Maxima on MathAction and Sage

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Maxima on MathAction and Sage
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:44:24 -0400

Axiom Developers;

After being inspired by the Sage code for their interface to
Maxima, I (finally!) got around to implementing a simple
interface for Maxima on Axiom Wiki and the Axiom Portal.
See:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxMaxima

This is just a first attempt. Please give it a try. Create
a few more new SandBox test pages, etc.

I would like to do better but I need some help from
knowledgeable Maxima people about how to better handle the
input and output.

Your comments and questions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, with the help of William Stein (the primary developer
of Sage) I am also working on a similar interface between
MathAction and Sage. So you will soon also be able to run
Sage sessions via:

  \begin{sage}
  \end{sage}

http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage

This will provide access to several more open source
mathematics packages including GAP, Maxima, Singular,
PARI, MWRANK, NTL and others. Unlike MathAction (which
merely provides a collaborative web-based user interface),
Sage also allows you to exchange many computer algebra
data structures (e.g. polynomials) between these packages.

Currently Sage is running on the axiom-developer.org server
but we still have some problems with clisp and Maxima. clisp
refuses to run on this server - always returning an "out of
memory error" no matter what I try. William Stein explained
how to install Sage with Maxima built with GCL - which works
fine on this server, however there are now a few interface
problems between Sage and Maxima that may be due to the
different lisp platform. I expect we (William at least :)
can resolve this fairly easily.

Stay tuned.