[Axiom-developer] Aldor translations

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Aldor translations
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:37:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I might mention that the lisp output would be significantly easier
> > to parse and maintain.
>
> Are you saying that aldor should not be translated to C or Fortran
> or whatever other target there will be in the future?

A point which is probably orthogonal to this discussion but is
something to consider is why we would want to target Aldor towards
something other than lisp, in the first place.

Axiom's core is currently based on Lisp, and I personally think this is
a Good Thing.  If we output Aldor to something other than Lisp, we face
the problem of communicating between the main Lisp environment and
whatever happens to the non-Lisp code Aldor has exported.  To me, this
seems to invite a world of compatibility issues, cross-platform
problems, FFI issues, etc.  Aren't we better off using other libraries
which have been developed specifically to solve numerical problems
quickly, and gradually working on optimizing our Lisp code?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
CY