RE: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backup

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:08:01 -0400

On Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:47 PM Pierre Doucy wrote:
> I would rather use eclipse which, from a certain point of
> view, is "emacs 30 years later" : the "interface for
> everything and nothing in particular" approach, plus a
> certain degree of "cleanliness". It may not be the sexiest
> of environments, but one can easily build a very powerful
> user interface without coding the whole thing from
> scratch. Plus, it may be possible to write an abstract
> algebra environment that can be specialized for many
> algebra systems.

I would very much like to know more about the possibility
of using eclipse for this purpose. But nearly everything
I have read about eclipse on the web has tended to turn
me off. Although there appears to be an emphasis on open
source in the eclipse projects, the content of the web
sites I have visited tend to look more like commerical
java promotional material from the IBM-era than "real life".
;)

But maybe I don't have the right information. Can you
suggest a place to get more information about eclipse?
Where and how to download it? How to use it for somethig
approximating emacs? In general a good source of information?

Thanks.