RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:34:54 -0400

On April 8, 2006 5:47 PM Frederic Lehobey wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:25:08PM -0400, Bill Page wrote:
> > Storing binary files in a source code archive is something that
> > I have always objected to, but Tim insists on re-distributing
> > code this way. I really think we should stop doing this.
>
> Please, provide the relevant patches. This is exactly what needs
> the silver branch and what it is intended for.  :-)

Indeed. But these two patches will introduce two new dependencies:
both gcl and noweb would have to be installed *before* building
Axiom. Personally, I don't think that this is a problem. Tim Daly
resists. Are there any other opinions?

The first patch is really most of Camm Maquire's patch to build
Axiom on Debian without re-compiling gcl. On Debian gcl is a
build dependency, just like gcc.

The second patch was suggested by Norman Ramsey (author of noweb)
a couple of years ago. It provides a simple awk script to allow
noweb to be used with Axiom pamphlet files without modifications
to noweb.

Together these two patches eliminate the need to build noweb and
gcl as part of the Axiom build and thus eliminate the need for
the corresponding .tgz files in the source code archive.

> > In my case I have no other problems using ssh to the sourceforge
> > site from Windows using other software.
>
> You mean using other software than svn or on other repositories
> than axiom?  (I believe axiom repository is a large one compared
> to other projects.)

CVS/ssh with Axiom on SourceForge.

So far as I can tell the problem we are having with SVN does not
have anything to do with ssh or network connectivity.