Re: [Axiom-developer] Developers and Axiom

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Developers and Axiom
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:17:41 -0500

root <address@hidden> writes:
>      3) now the real magic happens with emacs....
>
>         in emacs it is possible to set the "compile" command or
>         you can use a "command line macro". i use the macro approach.
>
>         in emacs you can record a whole set of keystrokes and make
>         them into a command line macro that you can execute with "C-x e"
>
>         after i've changed the source file i want to
>           a) save the changes (C-x C-s)
>           b) switch to the shell buffer (C-x o)
>           c) make -f Makefile.foo to run the makefile
>           d) switch back to my program to continue editing.
>
>         using the command line macro i can have this all happen in 1 keystroke
>
>         to create a command line macro you type "C-x (" to start recording
>         and "C-x )" to stop recording.
>
>         so, with a split screen and the cursor in your code buffer and
>         the shell in the other buffer do:
>
>         C-x (                 <== start recording
>         C-x C-s               <== save the changes
>         C-o                   <== switch to the shell
>         M-x >                 <== go to the end of the shell buffer
>         make -f Makefile.foo  <== run make
>         C-x o                 <== switch back to the code buffer
>         C-x )                 <== stop recording
>
> and now you have all the magic because "C-x e" does it all.
>
>  do forever
>    type your changes to your literate program,
>    type "C-x e" to noweave, latex, notangle, compile, test, and update xdvi
>    click on xdvi to see the changes
>
> i find it extremely productive. i run "C-x e" every 10 lines of changes
> (about once every minute or two) so i know that the latest change will
> compile, latex, and run the test cases properly.

But you need half the screen devoted to a shell, which really
shouldn't be necessary.  Why not simply have a command which runs the
makefile with `shell-command' or something similar?
(local-set-key "\C-ce"
               (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (shell-command "make -f Makefile.foo &")))
Or something could be arranged so any output goes to a (normally
non-showing) buffer, which could be displayed in case of an error.

Jay